Sunday, October 9, 2011

Lake Powell

We usually do a camping trip for family reunion with Jeff’s family every year. This year, instead of camping, they decided to do local stuff instead of a big camping trip. We had tried to convince everyone to rent a houseboat, but that didn’t happen. Jeff and his brother have been very anxious to do another trip to Lake Powell, so we planned one and did camping at the marina with our family, Jared’s family, and Jeff’s parents. It was a blast! We loved it, had a ton of fun, and have decided we have to do a trip to Lake Powell every year, houseboat or not. We’ve been every year since Addi was born and, apparently, we have a new tradition that I hope we can keep up. We camped at the marina in one of their awesome campsites, and then went and played on one, or sometimes both, of the boats during the day. On one of the days, we spent most of the day driving around on the boat, checking out good camping sites for a houseboat, hopefully, next year. We found an amazing spot that would work out great for a houseboat with a good beach, and an awesome spot for some cliff jumping. It had a lower spot for cliff jumping, and then a higher spot as well. Jeff and Jared dove over and over and over and got a ton of video with their gopro cameras. I was really impressed with both of my boys who went cliff jumping as well. Nate we fearless and did the higher cliff that Jeff and Jared went on. Zach went over and over on the lower cliff, which I was really impressed with since even at the end of July he didn’t like putting his face under the water. They’ve come a long way and I’m so incredibly proud of both of them. I even did a little cliff jumping since I couldn’t let the boys show me up. Addi even did a little jumping from the shore to the water, which was a big deal for her to. Jeff’s dad didn’t cliff jump, but he said that if we do the houseboat next year that he will do that and/or the water slide from the houseboat. Here’s hoping to doing the houseboat next year!!!
The campsite was awesome, with running water, great restrooms, and flat spaces. With going late in the summer, it wasn’t crowded and it wasn’t roasting hot. It was just about perfect. We had another couple of days that we found a spot on the beach and did wakeboarding and kneeboarding while the kids played on the beach. It was absolutely fabulous to lay on the beach, under an umbrella, reading a book while my kids played happily on the sand near by.
Jeff got some serious air on the wakeboard and has already been insisting on a tower next year so he can get more air on our boat. Jared didn’t quite land the jumps, but had some awesome wrecks. I didn’t get air, but I did wakeboard, which was still a lot of fun. I’m hoping for some good jumps next year. I did get some air on the kneeboard and was proud to have landed it! The boys tried to kneeboard and did ok, but we’re still working on that. We’re hoping to get them up and more adventurous on the kneeboard next year.
Jeff’s mom is not thrilled with being on the water, but she was also a trooper with being on the boat. She even learned how to drive a boat and drove for part of the time we were wakeboarding. I was so impressed!
I miss summer. I’ll be ready for the water as soon as it warms up in a few months. Until then, we’ll have to find lots of fun things to do during the fall, winter, and spring.
Overall, it was a fabulous trip. I think Lake Powell will definitely have to be a yearly tradition.























2 comments:

Merfy said...

I think we need to go every year too! I am sold on lake Powell!

Mel said...

We can totally plan a trip together if you ever want to! Houseboat or not, I'm sold on Lake Powell. I think it's officially a tradition!