Friday, February 27, 2009

Moab

Instead of doing something for V-day for each other including going out to dinner, we decided we'd take a mini-vacation and go to Moab. Our National Parks pass expires the end of February and we wanted to get one more thing in. Nate has been to Arches a couple of times when he was younger, but I don't think we've been since Zach was born.
So, we ended up leaving late afternoon on Friday since we had to get FOUR new tires, a 4-wheel alignment, and adjust one of the wheels (OUCH). The boys were pretty good on the drive down and we ended up renting a room for one night. This was a big deal since we've never stayed in a hotel in Moab before. We've always done the camping thing but I didn't want to camp in February in the cold with two little boys.
Jeff, being Jeff, decided he needed to do night pictures even though he was exhausted. He hiked to delicate arch on his own in the middle of the night and hung out there while he did star trails. The boys and I were trying to sleep, which was an interesting adventure. It took them a while to settle down since they had taken a short nap in the car on the way down.
At about 2:00 a.m., right before Jeff got back, I heard Zach crying. I went to get him and find out what was going on. The boys were sharing a queen bed and Nathan is a pretty crazy sleeper and always has been. Apparently, Nathan rolled over and whacked Zach in the head with his arm. Zach was screaming, I was trying to comfort him and find out what was going on, and Nathan was just snoozing away. I laid down with Zach and we were both awake when Jeff walked in a few minutes later. After Zach calmed down, I put him back in bed, with Teddy, and he went right to sleep.
We all woke up pretty early, with the exception of Nate who we had to wake up, had breakfast, and headed out the door.
We went hiking on the west side of Moab for a little bit to find some dinosaur tracks. After that, we headed over to Arches and spent the day there. We did lots of hiking. The boys loved to run, climb, jump, and just be little boys. Nate just about gave me a heart attack a couple of times because he was trying to do everything his daddy was. They had a ball and really enjoyed themselves.
We asked Nate a couple of times if he was all done and he kept telling us that we needed to do more arches. They had a blast! We were all very tired by the end of the day and the boys slept for a good chunk of the way home.
Here are a couple of photos:





No comments: