Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Thoughts from Kindergarten

I was asking Nate about Kindergarten. He's made it through four days now. I asked him if he liked his teacher and that she's very nice. He did make it all the way across the monkey bars on his own on the 2nd day of kindergarten. I was pretty impressed. He likes recess and played tag with friends. They've been writing their names in school lately. I'm a mean mom and over the summer I would try to make him write his name 10 times to practice. On the second or third day of kindergarten, he told me his teacher was so nice because she only made him write his name three times. Apparently I really am a mean mom. He went to the computer lab yesterday and he thought that was cool. They went to the library today and he thought that was so cool. I was worried about my son being shy because he has shy moments here and there, but apparently he's over most of his shyness. I taught preschool for Zach today and would have been late to pick him up from school. I told him he might go home with his friend's aunt after school. When he was in line for his class, the friend's aunt came up to the line. She told me Nate walked right up to her and told her he thought he was coming home with her. I'm glad he's over his shyness because it was as challenge for me at times as a kid.
We decided to have Nate join the book club at school as well. We read his book club book last night and he thought that was so awesome. He has been SO excited about book club (way to go Meredith!). He was really excited to read his library book and book club book tonight. He was also excited to do his homework. I'm hoping that lasts as he gets older.

Today was also Zach's first day of preschool. I ended up teaching today. We're doing a neighborhood preschool this year, and I'll probably do more of a formal preschool next year. We have a really fun lesson plan and materials and he seemed to have a lot of fun with it. I was really impressed about how well Zach sat and listened and participated today. He's the youngest in the group and I was a little worried about it, but I think he'll do great. He did great today. I just hope he's as good at everyone else's house. He listened and participated and colored. He can't quite write his name on his own, but he does recognize the letters in his name. He was adorable today and he was so excited to do school too. I think he'll have a great year. He told me again today that his favorite color is orange. I asked him what his favorite animal was and he told me a horse and a dog and a sheep and a pig and a cat. I think he would have kept going.

Just so Addison is included as well, she is growing like a weed. She's still a very good girl, but I think she's learning the power of her voice and that if she squawks, they will come. She's adorable and loves to smile and talk to people. I have gotten TONS of comments on her red hair. It's a lot redder than I thought it would be. She has recently, thanks to Grandma and Daddy, learned how to blow spit bubbles as well and is very good at it. She's a very sweet girl and loves her big brothers very much. She's become much more social and doesn't like to be alone. She's much happier to be with the crowd. I'm sure she'll want to do everything she can to keep up with her big brothers as she gets older.

I feel very lucky and very blessed to be the mom to such wonderful kids.

No comments: