Thursday, September 24, 2009

Jasmine

We moved into our house in 2002. Its crazy it's been that long! Jeff was really excited to get a dog after we bought a house. Within a month of moving in, Jeff's brother told us about some puppies. If I remember right, Jasmine was born June 15, 2002. She's a complete mutt. She's part golden lab, black lab, Dalmatian, Huskie, and I don't know what else since she's not as big as any of those breeds. She has very unusual coloring that I've had a lot of people comment on. When she was a puppy, she was completely white and adorable. We named her Jasmine after the white flower.
We brought her home when she was about six weeks old and recently weened. She was a pain at night in the beginning where she would cry for a most of the night. She got better fast and and was a pretty sweet dog. She would give us these cute puppy grins. As she got bigger, she started to develop spots like a Dalmatian, but they were tan. She was also a VERY active little puppy and got excited when she was around people. She loved people. She used to jump up on people, but we quickly tried to curb that and she hasn't for a long time.
As mentioned, we got her shortly after we moved into the ward. We hadn't had her for that long when the bishop of the ward at that time and his sweet wife stopped buy to say hi and bring us a treat. Jasmine, being the excited puppy she was, ran over to say hi. The sweet bishop's wife picked her up and held for a minute at our door while they said hi. However, when Jasmine was a puppy and got really excited she would sometimes pee because she was just couldn't hold it in. Unfortunately, she peed all over the poor bishop's wife. This sweet lady, who I won't name names, was really sweet and good natured about it. I, however, was completely embarrassed.
Our first Halloween here, Jeff decided he wanted to dye Jasmine's fur because it was Halloween. He used red koolaid since we've heard of people doing that. It worked really well on her light colored fur. However, it worked a little too well and, though I gave her lots and lots of baths, she stayed pink for about a month.
The Owns lived next to us when we first moved in. Shelby Owens, who a just loved, would come into our yard to play with Jasmine quite a bit that first and second summer. I remember Shelby would come to our door and ask if she could play with Jasmine. I miss Shelby.
I think Jasmine was still a puppy when I first had an idea she was deaf. She was asleep on the floor and I put the vacuum right up to her without her budging. We've later realized that she can here very loud noises, but can't here most anything else. She can't here me whistle, but can hear Jeff. We came up with some very basic signs for things like come, sit down, and lay down and have managed fairly well.
We had Jasmine for about 2 1/2 years before Nathan was born. We took her camping and hiking with us. She wasn't great at that kind of stuff. She barked, likely due to her hearing. After Nate was born, she didn't want that much to do with him, but was always really good with him. As the boys have gotten older, she'll have a little more to do with them and has been really good natured, but usually just ignores them.
We bought a laser pen at one point and Jasmine would love to chase it around. Jeff's mom would usually use the laser pen with Jasmine anytime she came over. It got to the point were Jasmine got really excited any time she saw Jeff's mom since that meant play time.
Jasmine isn't a big fan of the neighbor dogs that are in our yard quite often. The neighbor boy down the street said Jasmine saved him this summer. The other dogs were in our yard when Ethan came to our house to play while we were gone. The dogs did something to make Ethan scared. He climbed into our apple tree and said that Jasmine barked at the other dogs to get them to go away. I don't know what really happened, but yeah for Jasmine!
Jasmine is still a sweet, good dog, though she barks at people she doesn't know. She's getting old and we think she's developed arthritis in her hips. Within the last month or two, we think she's lost most of her sight as well. She may have cataracts or something since I think she has some peripheral vision and can still see light. However, I think most of her vision is gone because she's been running into things, including our legs and furniture.
I feel so bad for her. Though she's been a pain at times, she really has been a good dog. I've never had to worry about her with my kids or any of the neighbors with the exception of barking. I have locked her away if there are kids that come over that don't like dogs, but I've never been concerned about her hurting anyone. She's been a good dog. I just don't know how much longer she's going to last. My poor deaf, blind dog.