I was thinking about this story the other day and wanted to write it down before I forget about it. Due to my parents gene pool, the top part of my pinkie fingers curve in slightly. It's never bothered me and not something I really notice. However, my younger brother's are a lot more noticeable. My mom has told the story multiple times that when my brother was younger, she took him into the doctor for some kind of a checkup. The doctor looked at my brother's hand and saw that his pinkie finger curved in. He gave my mother a horrible look like she was beating her child and he needed to call DCFS on her to report child abuse. However, right after that he looked at his other hand and realized that it was just a genetic trait and never said anything about it. It's something that's stuck with my mom and that she's mentioned a few times.
Unfortunately, my boys have the same genetic trait. The curve in Nathan's fingers is more pronounced than mine, though it's still not that bad. Last fall, we went to soccer practice and Nathan was having a great time. The coach told Nathan good job and asked Nathan to give him a high five. Apparently something went wrong, and I don't remember if it was just the coach goofing around or what, but Nathan fell and hit his hand in the process of trying to give a high five. The coach looked at his hand to make sure he was ok. Jeff and I were sitting on the grass watching and we could see this look of terror on the coach's face like he had broken my son's finger. I was nice and told the coach that his finger is fine and that's just the way it is. We could have given the coach a hard time and if it was someone we were good friends with we might have, but I just couldn't be that mean. The coach said later on that he really did think he broke Nathan's finger and didn't know what to do. It was funny on our side, but I'm sure it wasn't from his.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment