The one day I go to work at the office, I stay quite late. It's a 24 story building. After most normal people leave, the cleaning crew will come through and do there thing, and then the security guard comes through later on to check on me and make sure all the doors are locked. I've had some goofy security guards in the past, but for the last few months I've had a cute little 80 year old man named Ken who's been my security guard at night. He's actually in really great shape and will walk all 24 stories at night. He's just a sweetheart. I'll talk to him for a couple of minutes when he comes in to check on me for the last few months.
He told me a little while ago that he went to the doctor and they found that he had an abdominal aneurysm that was about 8 cm long and needed to undergo surgery to fix it. He's been out for a while and I've gotten updates from the head security guard about how he's doing. Apparently he's undergone three surgeries now to fix it, the last one lasted 10 hours.
This is a sweet old man who I only see for maybe five minutes a week, but I've thought about him quite often and really miss him. It's made me think about how many people touch our lives by the small and simple things they do. I don't know that much about him. I don't even know his last name. Even so, he's really touched my life. There are so many other people who we see on a daily basis who have an influence on us and our attitudes. I am so grateful for the people that touch my life as well as my children's on a constant basis.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
That is beautiful.
Post a Comment