Thursday, June 18, 2009

Strawberry Days Part 1

It's time for Strawberry Days in our little town and Jeff and I thought we'd actually do something to celebrate this year. Yesterday, they had the children's parade and the boys wanted to do it. I asked Jeff to come with and he was sweet and decided to join. We let the boys take their scooters this year and they had a blast. Nate took way off a couple of times and me, being the paranoid mom, kept telling him to stay where I could see him. Zach rode his scooter until the very end when he was just too tired and rode on Dad's shoulders instead. For participating, they got a free pass to the rodeo last night, a ticket to the carnival, and a Popsicle. I'm pretty sure the Popsicle was their favorite part. As a bonus, we saw Grandpa there helping out. After saying hi to Grandpa, we headed home for a little while.
Jeff had said he wanted to take the boys to the rodeo this year, so we decided to go last night since the boys had free admission. When I asked Nate that morning if he wanted to go, he told me no. I pulled up a video of bull riding and let him watch that. After that, he was all about it. I'm not a big rodeo fan, but I thought it'd be fun to go.
The boys did pretty well with it and seemed to enjoy it. Zach pointed to a horse at one point and said he wanted to ride a horse. I think they just really enjoyed the treats we had, including strawberries and cream of course! Unfortunately, we did get rained on for part of it, but stuck through. I asked the boys a couple of times if they wanted to leave and Nate wanted to sick around until the end. We were getting read to leave, until they brought out the motocross stuff. Right before the bull riding, they brought out ramps for a jump and there were two guys on motorcycles who rode around doing the jumps with various tricks. The boys really got into that (must be like their dad). They were cheering and clapping on their own. Nate told us, during the motocross stuff, that "this is the sweetest day of my life". Funny kid. Zach had a ball with it too.
We stayed through the end, with the exception of the last bull ride. I was very worn out by that time and couldn't sit any longer. As we were walking across the parking lot, Zach was holding my hand. I was getting read to cross the street, but there was a car coming very slowly that I thought we could walk in front of. Zach forced me to wait until the car had passed. What a good boy, trying to keep his mommy safe. When we got home, Zach was exhausted since it was WAY past bedtime and was really good about climbing into bed. Nate, on the other hand, was a little more difficult. We'll see how today goes.
Jeff got a ton of pictures, but they haven't been downloaded yet so I'll have to post them as part of Strawberry Days Part 2.

No comments: